After over two years teaching in South Korea David and I returned to the UK but after ten months we decided we missed South Korea and here we are once again... teaching, exploring and LOVING living in Changnyeong, Gyeongsang nam-do.

안녕하세요, 행복한 독서! Hello, happy reading!


Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Garlic Farming

Each year the staff at CEV volunteer to help out the local farmers. This year we volunteered to help a local farmer harvest garlics.  David and I had to write a report about our experience for School, so I will attach mine!

Garlic Farming
Changnyeong English Village
Becky Rhone

Date:


Tuesday 5th June 2012


Farming in Gyeseong, Changnyeong

Today all of the staff from Changnyeong English Village took part in garlic farming in Gyeseong, Changnyeong. This was new and an extremely interesting experience for me. At around 10am Richard and Suzi took us to the local fields and showed us where we would be working. Richard introduced all of the staff to the local farmer, Bae Jeong Man. After some introductions the farmer showed us how to pick the garlic correctly. It appeared pretty easy but I was sure that it would be harder than it looked. At first I thought the garlic farming was easy but after a while I realised that I was farming a lot slower than everybody else. I tried my best to keep up but I just couldn’t! The men were pulling up the garlic’s incredibly fast. It was tough trying keeping up with them. After around forty minutes pulling up the garlic’s in the hot sun, we all had a break. The farmer. Bae Jeong Man kindly bought everybody an ice cream and some drinks. After we relaxed and enjoyed our snacks in the lovely sun, we got back to work. It wasn’t long until we had finished the entire field. It was a small field though, lucky for us! I really enjoyed this experience. It was very exciting. Whilst I have been in Korea I have always seen people working in the fields and wondered what it would be like. I only participated in farming for a very short time but I really liked it. I thought I wouldn’t like it because of the insects but I didn’t come across any at all! I would like to thank Richard, Suzi and Bae Jeong Man for this opportunity. 감사합니다!